Thursday, March 8, 2012

Herringbone Painted Coat Hook

This is project I have been wanting and needing to do FOREVER.  I have been using one large Command Sticky hook in my closet and hanging a billion jackets on it, and knew something needed to change.  Originally I wanted to use vintage hooks/door knobs, and found a lot that I liked, but not a lot that I thought would work with my room.  (I should say that I am by far, NOT a great interior designer, I leave that to my sister, but, when I have an idea in my head it's hard to go against it.)

This past weekend gave me the opportune moment to get this made!  I thought about a couple of different designs; a true chevron pattern, hexagons (I love geometric things), and this offset chevron pattern (herringbone).  The color choices were down to yellow and green, and I found this green color among a big bucket of craft paints that I have, and it worked perfectly!  I was left to get a wooden plaque from Craft Warehouse (an obsession of mine), along with some hooks they had on sale.

I don't have a step by step for this because it's not super difficult at all, the main part was getting the pattern on there, which I am sure could have been done some easier way!

The plaque needed to be painted the base white first, along with the hooks, so while that was drying, I figured out my shape and got that all ready.

I played around with shape size on Microsoft Publisher by making a true square, split in half with a diagonal line, then paired with another square that was made the same way so that, if the middle line between the squares was gone, there would be a diamond shape.  I printed out a few to get the size that I wanted, cut it out, and used it as a template to make a sturdier cardboard template.  I then used that to draw on 2" painters tape, however many diamonds that I needed (in my case, 28 total, 14 shifted to the left and 14 shifted to the right).  I know there is an easier way to do this, but I didn't have the means to make my own stencil, and I couldn't find a pre-made stencil that I liked enough to use...

Once I had all the diamonds cut out, and the white paint was dry, I started placing the tape diamonds on, placing one, then using a ruler to make sure the next one was as even as possible.  I continued doing that until the whole plaque was taped up, then got out my green paint and went for it!

I finished it off, along with the hooks, with a clear coat matte spray, then attached the hooks and had some help attaching it to my wall.  I am pretty pleased with it, and it helps my closet not feel so full!

No comments:

Post a Comment