Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Baby Ballet Shoe

I am always stumbling across cute tutorials, and finally was able to make these adorable shoes!  I found the tutorial here.  It's a very simple tutorial, with not too much explanation of what is going on, but it does have some pretty good pictures to help along the way.

As you can see with my shoes compared to those on the tutorial, my ruffles aren't too ruffly :(.  First off, I had trouble making my ruffles.  It took a lot of trial and error (meaning a lot of seam ripping) to find the right settings.  I have a basic, cheap Singer sewing machine, model 2932, so for the ruffles I had to use the settings:  tension 9, length 0, width 4.  It finally gave me some pretty good ruffles, but then when I put them on the shoe I had to flatten them out a little to extend all the way to the edge of the shoe to be sewn.  I also did not put the ruffle up to the top of the shoe as the tutorial says, that was a mistake made when I placed the bottom ruffle on, I put it too far down.  So next time, I will attach the ruffle where it needs to be, but I might also make the ruffles "tubes" a little longer so that I ensure I can have some good rufflage going on, and so that they extend all the way to the edge.

One HUGE thing that hung me up when making these, was that the tutorial does not show how to turn the top of the shoe from inside out to right side out to be able to attach the ruffles.  I had a lot of trouble with this.  I finally figured out to snip the curve every so often, that allowed me to turn it right side out better.  Then I pinned it and ironed it flat.

I am glad I was able to get these made!  And figure out how to get over the troubles I was having!  Now I am amped to make another pair!  Maybe this time with some cute cat fabric I found :)

1 comment: